Hey readers! Wow I truly can’t believe that 2018 is already over. This year flew by! 2018 was a year of so many accomplishments, amazing travels, and lots of fun. Of course, 2018 also brought challenges and a lot of change.
Here are some highlights from 2018:
- Getting into grad school
- Graduating from Lasell College with my bachelors degree in Exercise Science
- Starting OT school at MGH Institute of Health Professions
- Traveling to Italy, Spain, and Monaco for the first time
- Traveling to New Hampshire (twice!)
- Taking part in a service trip to Antigua
- Rediscovering my love for barre (if you don’t know, this is my favorite way to exercise!)
- Traveling to New York City at Christmastime
- Celebrating my one year anniversary with my boyfriend
Here are some challenges I faced in 2018:
- Learning how to live at home again after living at college for 4 years
- Adjusting to a looooong commute every day to school
- Managing my time between a full-time course load, 3 part time jobs (yes 3!), and taking care of my relationships (friends, family, significant other)
Some things that I am looking forward to in 2019:
- Continuing to learn how to be the best OT I can possibly be
- Getting more involved in causes that I care about – activism, advocacy, volunteering
- Traveling to Sedona and Montreal (and maybe a few more places…)
- Continuing to grow this blog!
My intentions for 2019:
- Healthy living – Living at home has really made eating healthy a challenge for me…there are just so many snacks and sweets available at all times! However my mom and I have a goal in 2019 to eat healthier, so hopefully together we can get rid of those cravings!
- Exercise – I have done really well with this over the last year. I had some rough patches when school got hard, but that is the most important time for me to exercise. When I am busy with schoolwork I notice a huge difference in my mental state when I take even just 30 minutes to exercise. Specific exercise intentions: take 3 barre classes per week and do cardio at least once a week (treadmill, outdoor runs, stair stepper, or bike).
- Finances – This one is so hard while in school. I feel like whenever I get together with my friends or boyfriend we want to do something “fun,” which usually involves money. This year I want to set and stick to budget. No more splurging!
- Mindfulness – I really want to try and stick with meditation. I tend to try it for a few days and then forget about it. Specific goal: every Sunday set aside 10 minutes to meditate, stretch, and journal. I have a great journal that I got for Christmas that gives 52 prompts – perfect to write in once a week!
- Faith – My boyfriend and I want to find a church to attend together in Boston on Sundays. This part of my life has been lacking for a while, so I want to make an effort to start being an active member in the church community.
- “Me Time” – I have officially declared Sundays as my “me time.” I plan to not work on Sundays from now on so that I have at least one full day off per week. Because I deserve it!
- Relationships – Since starting grad school, this has definitely been a struggle for me. I have been doing my best to see friends at least once a month, which doesn’t sound like a lot but right now it is all I can manage. I want to continue this in 2019.
- Volunteer – I want to be more involved in the Best Buddies organization. I went to the Friendship Walk in Boston a few months ago and was reminded of why I love this organization so much. Whether it is taking part in more walks or 5k’s or volunteering at other events, I want to be involved!
- Blog – The blog! I am having so much fun connecting with fellow OT students, OTs, and other health professionals on Instagram. I hope to continue making new connections and providing journal resources for the OT community in 2019, as well as sharing my journey through grad school!
What are your 2019 intentions? Reply in the comments below!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!