Hey readers! I just got back from a short birthday getaway to Florida, and I am so excited to share what I did with all of you. My boyfriend, Ryan, and I went down on Saturday evening and got back late Wednesday night (we were able to find cheaper flights on those days versus flying on a Friday or Sunday). This trip was a little bit of a birthday present to myself as well as wanting to take advantage of the last couple weeks of my month off from school. I mean, this is basically my summer break, and it does NOT feel like summer in Boston right now. This trip was the perfect way to relax, spend some quality time with Ryan, and get a tan! Here’s what we did while we were there:
Where We Stayed
We stayed at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel by Marriott, and it was INCREDIBLE. I seriously cannot recommend this hotel enough. The pool area itself is enough to make me want to go back again and again (and we literally stayed there almost the entire time). But the staff, food, drinks, and our room were also great. The lobby had games such as chess, tic tac toe, table corn hole, and Pucket (I had never heard of this one before, but it was so much fun and Ryan and I got really competitive playing it), which was really fun and unique. We also had excellent service during our entire stay, so if you are ever in the area and don’t mind being a short drive from the beach, this hotel is a must.
What We Did
I wasn’t kidding when I said that we stayed at the hotel pool almost the entire time. The pool had cabanas that were free for guests to use, and it was quiet and peaceful. We spent most of our days tanning on lounge chairs, swimming in the pool, and relaxing in the cabana. We were able to order drinks and lunch to enjoy by the pool, and we were in walking distance to cold water and a bathroom. I mean, what more could you ask for?!
We eventually ventured out of our hotel to go to the beach and explore the town of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. The weather wasn’t great the entire time we were there, which played a role in our deciding to stay at the hotel most days. There were afternoon thunder showers most afternoons, and we didn’t want to risk being stuck outside in a thunderstorm (that’s one of my biggest fears!). When the weather finally agreed with us, we decided to hit the beach! We didn’t love Fort Lauderdale Beach when we checked it out on our first night, so we didn’t want to spend an entire day there. We asked the concierge at our hotel what beach they recommend for a quieter, less “tourist-y”experience. And that’s how we heard of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea! We spent the late morning/early afternoon soaking up the sun, then we enjoyed walking through the quaint shops and picking out a Christmas ornament together (our tradition every time we travel together). We then had a delicious lunch overlooking the beach and got fresh fruit popsicles.
Where We Ate
Here are a few of the places we ate and loved while we were in Fort Lauderdale:
- Boatyard in Fort Lauderdale
- The Poke House in Fort Lauderdale
- Copper Branch in Fort Lauderdale – delicious plant-based food!
- Aruba Beach Cafe in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
- Our hotel – the fish tacos, skillet cookie, and white sangria were amazing!
What I Read
Reading a good book on the beach or by the pool might just be my favorite part of summer and vacations. I read two full books and started a third in these five short days! Here are the books that I read and loved on this trip:
- A Love Letter Life: Pursue Creatively. Date Intentionally. Love Faithfully. by Jeremy Roloff and Audrey Roloff – I read this one first, and I loved their story. They offer great advice for anyone who wants to have an exceptional relationship, whether you are single, dating, or married.
- Beautiful Day: A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand – I flew through this book. I think this was the first Elin Hilderbrand book that I have ever read, and now I want to read every single one of her books. This one was seriously SO good and a great beach/pool read!
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero – I just started this one! I have heard great things, so I am excited to read it.
What are your favorite beach/pool reads? I am always taking book recommendations!
Here are a few of my favorite photos from our trip:
Thanks for reading!