Hey readers! Wow. I can’t believe I am already 2 weeks into fieldwork. I have been so immersed in it that it has gone by so fast, and I am so excited for what’s to come! Every 2 weeks, I’m going to write a quick recap of my time in outpatient pediatrics for level II fieldwork here on the blog, with longer posts at the halfway mark and at the end. As many of you know, I am at an outpatient pediatric clinic that is providing telehealth services at this time. However, there are plans to officially reopen soon and I got to go into the clinic this week for an eval! Here’s what I’ve been up to for the last two weeks…
The first two weeks for me have been all about getting comfortable in my setting (and with telehealth!). I met all of the OTs at a virtual staff meeting, I have shadowed my supervisor, and started to co-treat during sessions. On my second day of fieldwork, my supervisor even asked me for some treatment ideas. I offered a suggestion based on my experience in school, and she jumped on it immediately. She asked me to send her more information about it since it was a new method for her, and then asked me to lead that part of the session with one of our kiddos’s this week! I love our communication style already, and I feel really lucky to be in a setting where my voice is not only heard but wanted and respected.
A lot of the kiddos I’ve seen over the last two weeks have been working on goals around:
- Fine motor skills
- Gross motor skills
- Sensory processing
- Emotional regulation
- Executive functioning skills
- And more!
Some of the highlights from the last two weeks include:
- Sharing a new treatment method with my supervisor and having an amazing response
- Co-treating a few sessions and beginning to feel comfortable with telehealth
- Receiving positive feedback on my treatment notes (SOAP notes)
- Getting to see two evaluations – one telehealth and one in-person
- Trying my skill at taking clinical observations during an eval and putting my observations into words
Coming up next week:
- Developing treatment plans and leading sessions for 4 kiddos
- Administering the Beery VMI during an evaluation in the clinic
- Going into the clinic to access more resources and client files/documents
I am loving fieldwork so far! I already feel like I’m learning, being validated, and being challenged. I can’t wait for next week, thanks for reading!